Go Local - HALFF's Local Food Network
Bringing local food and drink to shops near you
Go Local is a network of local food and drink producers.
What is Go Local ?
In February 2016, HALFF received funding from the Esmee Fairbairn Foundation to develop a sustainable local food network in order that excellent quality, local food, in particular, fruit vegetables, are more readily available in local retail outlets.
Go Local will be run from HALFF’s Food Hub - a fruit, vegetable and local produce shop, on South Street, Axminster, East Devon. We aim to build a strong network of local producers and retailers, help coordinate local food distribution, and enable consumers to reduce waste and buy more local food.
Alongside building up a local food network, we will promote buying local produce and highlight the need for sustainable food systems. We will deliver cookery demonstrations throughout the project area; at the Food Hub and at existing community groups or events.
Who are is Go Local working with?
- local food producers
- food businesses
- food outlets
- farm shops
- convenience stores
- village shops
- holiday accommodation
- anyone else interested in food in and around Axminster.
Aims of Go Local:
- To work with local food producers and local shops on developing new trading links
- To make more local, every day foods, readily available for local people
- To profile local retailers that sell local food
- To promote local food and work towards a more sustainable food system
- Bringing local producers and processors together to explore opportunities for sharing facilities, ideas and markets
- Meet the buyers events
- Food markets
- Local food celebration events
- Help with logistics and distribution
- Development of a local food brand
- In-store promotions with participating shops
- Work with holiday accommodation on promoting local food
- Cooking demonstrations
- Talks and discussions around the benefits of local and sustainable food to the environment, health and the local economy
How to get involved:
- Visit our Food Hub on South Street, Axminster where we sell organic and conventional fruit and veg and local produce
- Join our advisory group
- Join the network
- Let us know your ideas and suggestions of what you would like to see happening